Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Least Expected

When I fell on the stairs on Sunday, my first concern was to check if my operated knee was harmed in any way. It did not occur to me to check anywhere else for injuries.

Yesterday, I found, least expectedly, that I had suffered a sprain in my left wrist from that fall.

Towards late afternoon yesterday, I began to feel a sore feeling around my left wrist. By about 9pm, that sore feeling was replaced by a mild throbbing naggy kind of pain. It was mild initially. So mild was the pain that I had hardly noticed it.

By 12.25am, when all was still and silent, the pain was beginning to make its presence felt. Without distractions from the day-to-day happenings taking place around me, the pain became more keenly felt.

I thank God for granting me sleep despite the pain. I was able to sleep undisturbed through the next few hours.

When I was later roused from my sleep by howling winds and the pitter patter of raindrops, I woke my husband to shut the windows - those in the dining room - which we had neglected to shut before we retired to bed. The heavy downpour, accompanied by an impressive display of white dazzling lights in the sky and by great thunder drum-rolls, chased sleep away. Both my husband and I began to toss and turn, making futile efforts at getting the most out of what remains of the night's sleep.

Before long, the alarm clock screamed its lungs out and obediently, my husband got out of bed. With my left leg immobile, I heaved myself up to a sitting position using my hands to prop me up. It was then that a sharp pain shot from my left wrist up towards my left elbow. Instinctively, my right hand reached for the left wrist to find out what had caused the sharp pain. It was met by a tender lump of swollen flesh, particularly tender and sore to the touch near the outer wrist bone.

My left wrist was swollen!

I grabbed my trusty jar of "chou chou" cream from the nightstand's drawer. Dr Liew's wonder cream to the rescue! (My son calls the 'Feitian' cream 'chou chou' cream because he finds the smell disagreeable).I started massaging my left wrist with the white cream. The cool ointment soothed and did its work on the wrist. Silenced, the throbbing pain lay low for a while. Tucking my wrist under the quilt, I went back to sleep.

When awakened later, the swelling had subsided and much of the pain had gone away. It's still a little sore and tender, especially if I tried to flex or rotate my wrist. I find it difficult to use my walking frame and my crutches. I guess I'll have to depend solely on the wheelchair for a day or two.

Mmm...not being able to use the walking frame without pain, taking a shower and using the toilet will be difficult in the next one or two days.

But I'll get by...with God's unfailing help, I'm confident He'll help me get by. He has never failed me before. I am sure He is here to see me through this!

Father, thank you for providing me with the Feitian cream. In the first place, thank you for leading me to Dr Liew. Through him, you have granted me healing: first it was my 30-year-old ankle injury, then through him, you fixed my shoulder and back problem to a great extent, and helped me reduce the strain upon my knees by having him help me trim my hips down by two pant-sizes! My having met Dr Liew was indeed divine appointment!

So was my getting to know Reginae and then later, Prof Hui.

Divine appointment! How awesome you are! How wondrous are your mighty deeds!

You are a wondrous God, always working on our behalf. You never withhold good from those you love! And how you love this world!
You love this world so much so that you gave your only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not die but have eternal life. Open the eyes of our hearts to perceive your wondrous love for us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home