Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Learning Chinese

My on-going battle with learning Chinese...a nightmare which I'll probably not awaken from until (by God's grace) sometime between 2014 and 2017!

First, it was my own struggle with learning the language. I can speak the language, I can even read but I just can't write. After much difficulties, I managed to get a B3 in Chinese when I did the 'O' Level exam.

Then, it was my struggle in helping my daughter learn the language. She can speak the language. She can even read some words and simple phrases, but, like me, she just can't write. When she was finally 'done' with learning the language for passing exams, she started enjoying speaking Mandarin with friends. Now she speaks to her friends in Mandarin whenever she feels like it, or whenever the need arises. She gets by. She is clearly understood by her Mandarin speaking friends.

Now comes my struggle with helping my son to learn the language! Motivating him to want to learn the language is the toughest job I have to undertake.

His school teacher is not making it any easier for him, or for me! I must admit that my son's fierce and stubborn refusal to like the subject has made her feel as if she, too, was rejected.

She is fast losing her patience with him. She barks at him and puts him down for his lack of motivation. He retaliates by becoming even more unwilling to try. He hands in shoddy work.

She saw his unwillingness to try as an affront to her efforts and ability in teaching him. She takes offence and picks on him. He resents Chinese lessons in school and does all he can to squirm out of doing his Chinese homework. She gets annoyed when he doesn't hand in his work, scolds him and he protests silently by handing in shoddy work.

Lately, he has even resorted to hiding his homework away, coming home pretending that there is no homework. By the time we discover that he has homework left undone and not handed in, it has accumulated to such a monstrous pile!

Help me! I need PATIENCE!

PATIENCE
for my recovery from my knee op

for my having to 'fire-fight' at home in dealing with all the problems presented to me on this platter from which I can't turn away - why do I feel so alone when I am not?

for myself in dealing with myself in my present depressive reclusive state - why have I become so anti-social? It's so NOT me! What's happened to me?

OH! I need patience....AND wisdom....AND courage to plod on.

God, help me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home