Saturday, April 23, 2005

Reflex Action

Argh! I was afraid this might come my way, but now, it really has!

"What has?" you asked me.

This : SOMEONE read my letter in ST's Forum Editor and decided that since I am "the type who enjoys writing, and have proven to be able to do so," then I ought to "contribute some articles towards our newsletter!"


Argh!!! What have I gotten myself into? More work? (HuMpH!)

sigh...never mind, lah...what to do?


....._ _ _ ....._ _ _ ....._ _ _....._ _ _how did i get myself into this? Well....


The plight of the Nepalese twins and the views expressed by a certain doctor had provoked such strong feelings of indignation in me.... ( I should've bit my tongue and held my peace till I hit the grave!)

Sigh.

Now I have come to fully understand why so many civil servants "buat bodoh" (act blur) and lie low, preferring to keep their opinions to themselves and be unthinking, unknowing, unable, uninformed, unknown... AND untouchable.

Now, I've just "earned" myself more "work" - help! - I am barely able to cope with my "backlog" of work, having just returned recently from my hospitalisation leave.

Yeah, yeah. Writing is a pleasure.

I enjoy writing.

Yes, I do, I really enjoy writing, but, the duty and the commitment towards "coughing" something up just to meet the newsletter's publication deadline takes the pleasure out of the writing!

The last thing I want to do is to kill my interest in writing by having the exercise turned into a chore.

To me, writing is a pleasurable form of exercise - a mental one, at that.

It is a form of discipline I instil in myself. I constantly challenge myself to be concise, precise and reader-friendly.

Sometimes I succeed, mostly I fail. Those who know me can vouch that I'm an "incurably" long-winded person, who is quite unable to come straight to the point.

Being concise and precise is not what I'm reputed for.

I subject myself to the discipline of writing because I need the mental exercise. I cherish the mental work-out. BUT...

I want to do it as and when I am up to it, not when I HAVE TO - that would be too much of a 'kill-joy'!

I'm sorry. I'm just not ready to make any contribution...not at the moment, not right now. Let me focus on my coming surgery and the recovery process...I'll see what I can come up with when I'm ready...I'm sorry. I really am!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home